Weekly Analytical Report. August 29 - September 4
Observation is carried out by activists of the Belarusian Helsinki Committee and the Human Rights Center “Viasna” in the framework of the campaign Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections
- the election campaign is still largely low key, failing to attract much public attention; after the broadcast of televised and radio speeches, many candidates stopped meetings with voters;
- a significant level of campaigning activity is demonstrated by the pro-government candidates, who still use the administrative resource, including state-controlled electronic and print media;
- there were a number of cases when candidates withdrew their nominations: 31 candidates have already left the campaign, representing 6% of the total number of registered candidates; 355 candidates have formed their electoral funds and opened special accounts, which amounts for 68% of the total number of registered candidates, or 72% of the number of candidates who are still running for the parliament;
- local authorities and representatives of pro-government associations across Belarus have carried out numerous mobilization activities for the organization of elections; heads of the PECs have been involved in meetings, seminars and trainings;
- election commissions have been instructed to prepare for a collective and simultaneous votes counting procedure, which does not allow observers to directly observe the counting of ballots;
- observers of the campaign "Human Rights Defenders for Free Elections" have met with representatives of the OSCE ODIHR EOM accredited in the regions.